Sunday, January 17, 2010

When I am an old Horsewoman

I shall wear turquoise and diamonds, and a straw hat that doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my social security on white wine and carrots and sit in my alleyway of my barn and listen to the horses breathe.

I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night and ride the old bay gelding across the moonstruck meadow, if my old bones will allow.

And when people come to call, I will smile and nod as I walk past the gardens to the barn and show instead the flowers growing inside the stalls fresh-lined with straw.

I will shovel and sweat and wear hay in my hair, as if it were a jewel.

And I will be an embarrassment to all, who will not yet have found the peace in being free to have a horse be a best friend.

A friend who waits at midnight hour with muzzle and nicker and patient eyes for the kind of woman I will be, when I am old.

 
 
 
back to the funnies tomorrow, I promise!

1 comment: